New Weird is real weird

The new weird is a genre we covered in class. It's a horror/ science fiction hybrid with surreal qualities that really just expects you to go along with the story it's telling. Doesn't seem to hold your hand in any way or include unnecessary amounts of exposition, at least in the example I read.  It's been a couple weeks and after some time I still have no idea what to make of it. For that week I ended up reading Perdido Street Station, a book with bug romance, exiled bird people, and giant moths that are wanted by the criminal underworld. I have no other way to describe it and honestly don't know if I would recommend it to anyone. Wasn't a bad book by any means, just a weird one. Which is why it's in this genre to begin with. Like I stated before, I don't know what to make of it, and I suppose maybe that was the purpose. Not the book itself, but the genre as a whole. Maybe its aim is to distort what we usually would consider horror, science fiction, or even fantasy and find some real weird sweet spot. Then take you out of your comfort zone, throw you a curve square, and expect you to hit it with a cricket bat for the winning touchdown.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Fiction of Ideas

Science Fiction Parody

Blood Child